Title: Senior Controls Systems Engineer
Reports to: Director of Technology
Direct Reports: 0
Date Posted: October 30th, 2020
Location: Albany, NY or Houston, TX
The Senior Controls Systems Engineer will work closely in daily coordination with KCE Operations, Engineering, & Construction as well as with other internal and external resources in all aspects of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS). Primary duties include facilitating specifications, designs, delivery, operations, preventative maintenance (PM’s) and ongoing Operations escalation support of KCE sites.
- Responsible for sustaining engineering for existing BESS plants and the project specific engineer-to-order features. Sustaining engineering responsibilities may include:
- Contribute to engineering design changes and corrective actions to projects and processes in order to support and improve system operation and goals.
- Familiarity with engineering change order (ECO) management processes.
- Analyze operational data, work orders, and failed components to identify root cause and permanent corrective actions.
- Coordinate and manage vendor support using internal and external escalation procedures for product warranty and repairs.
- Develop relationships with suppliers and/or stake holders as appropriate. Manage, measure, and communicate internal support program data.
- Build and implement project operational, networking/VPN, NERC CIP compliant, and data storage requirements for procurement activities.
- Strong working knowledge of communications protocols within the TCP/IP, BACNET, MODBUS/RS485, and CANbus protocols.
- Capable of signal measurements and reverse engineering/troubleshooting of simple and complex communication and digital/analog control structures.
- Experienced in the integration of inverter/converter and batteries/bms/unit controller for the purpose of simple and complex grid support functionality.
- Knowledgeable in FFR, voltage support, as well as basis point power distribution commands.
- Experience in common mode noise measurement, requirement setting, and solutions.
- Experience in leading certification of batteries and BESS to UL1973 and UL9540.
- Develop and implement a common architecture for build out of SCADA, data collection, storage, and collaboration with internal and external resources.
- Capable of building RTAC interfacing and simple control ladder logic to build site optimization and data collection.
- Identify and resolve product related performance, cost, manufacturer support, and supplier base and related issues uses traditional FMEA and 8D problem solving process.
- External and internal interfacing role requires excellent oral and written communication skills as well as proper leadership presence.
WORK EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS:
- 5+ years, BSEE, MSEE (preferred)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as proper leadership presence
- Experienced BMS hardware design (preferred)
- Engineering experience with energy storage and power conversion systems (preferred)
- Qualified Electrical Operator for LV BESS equipment (preferred)
- Knowledge of generation, transmission and distribution in electric grid systems (preferred)
- Familiarity with complex control systems, firmware design, upload / download of firmware and Linux environment (preferred)
- Experienced in OSHA for construction and industrial work
Apply for this position
Please ensure that all file attachments are in PDF format. You can also send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include the job title in the subject of the email.